Monday, September 22, 2008

Drawing Some Conclusions

So I have some goals for myself. Meet new people in the area, broaden my horizons, acquire new skills and develop new passions. I decided to bottle up all of these achievements by taking a drawing class. I've been very amaturely painting for a while now, and decided in order to really develop this hobby, I thought I should go back to the basics and learn from the bottom up. So here I am, in Beginning Drawing. 

I'm expecting to wonderful tricks of the trade. I want someone to tell me what to do it, and how to do it, how much I suck, and what to do better.  But no. He tells us to draw straight lines. Ohh, now we get to do diagonals. Then came the circles.  Keep in mind, the most instruction we got was "Now draw some circles. Pay attention to the curve." I'm fairly confident I can say that just as easily as him. If I wanted to draw a stool, I can draw a stool at home. No one came around and told me my leg was crooked. No one told me how to proportion it to make it even faintly resemble something sturdy enough to hold a piece of paper. All anyone told me is "Next, draw this globe." How much am I paying for this, again?

In fact, the only thing I did learn is that people lie. At the beginning of class, the instructor dude asked who of us drew at all- for fun, whatever. Not a single person rose their hand. Ok, red flag there... 2 dozen grown ass adults all of a sudden got a random burst of creative energy without ever picking up a crayon and doodling on the side?? I don't think so.  My intuition was heightened when we were encouraged to walk around the room and "be inspired by" other people's drawings. These assholes are shading (NOT directed to), rubbing their charcoals in all sorts of fancy directions, and doing all sorts of things I don't even know the words for. Bitches. All of them.

And don't even get me started on the chick who is wearing an apron- to DRAW!

So, despite my bitching, I kinda enjoyed myself. And with any luck, after taking this class I'll at least somewhat be able to justify considering myself mildly artistic.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's pretty ridiculous... How much did you pay for that class? I can't believe no one there has ever even done some basic drawing before and no one critqued your work. Maybe you need to jump to intermediate level instead of beginning.

Gerard

Besiege said...

No... those people were lying when they said they've never drawn. And my work wasn't critiqued bc that's the atmosphere of the class, not because they recognized my brilliance.