Monday, March 30, 2009

Brain Farts

Apparently there is such a thing as "Pregnancy Brain" which basically is just a good excuse for being dumb.

When I was in LA last week, Joe and I stopped for some Mexican. We sat down, I envied the margaritas being passed around, and before long Joe had asked me to pass the pepper. I looked to the left, where the condiments were. There was not a big selection- a little tub of sugar packets, and salt and pepper shakers. But somehow, I had no idea what he was talking about. I remember having a vague understanding that peppers were vegetables- could be different colors or sizes, but nothing on the edge of the table fit this description. I asked him to repeat himself, hoping he'd say something easier, like 'sugar,' but no. Pepper. It had to have been a solid two minutes I was staring at the sugar wondering how I was going to turn and face him empty-handed. Finally, I just turned to him with this look of horror, disbelief and embarrassment that I hadn't the slightest clue what he was talking about. He graciously clarified- the black stuff next to the salt, which immediately made sense to me. He didn't make fun of me for this nearly as much as was justified.

On the way home from work today, I was on the ramp up the the highway and noticed a big commotion in the other direction. Traffic was stopped, cones were set up all over the road, an ambulance was out, and two dozen people were standing around. I then saw an oil tanker with a huge gaping hole in the top of it. Holy Shit. And don't all those people need to get the hell away from such a perilous situation?? Very concerned, I scanned through radio stations to hear a traffic update talking about it, but for once all I could find was music. I raced home, and was shocked when it wasn't breaking news on SF Gate's homepage. Ok.... I searched for traffic. Not even a headline on Traffic. Was this too new to have even broken the news yet? I kept scrolling down... 280 N King St exit closed to movie filming.

Nice work, prop guys. Nice work.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This entry literally made me laugh out loud. I remember doing things like that when I was pregnant. Just remember, it goes from pregnant brain to "mommy brain." I still have these moments from time to time!!

~Jennie Mayer

Besiege said...

Aw man, I was totally looking forward to confidently identify condiments and spices in 5 months...