Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Yum Yums

December 30, 2008:

So, remember how much fun food used to be? Yeah, not so much any more.

The real kicker was me going to the grocery store yesterday, which turned out to be way too ambitious of an adventure. Way too many smells. Way too many things to make me want to throw up. I still haven't actually vomited yet, but it's still not exactly fun. 

Foods that I deem "heavy" are, by definition, undesirable. I could not even walk down the meat aisle, or pasta aisle or anything like that. I basically walked out with fruits, vegetables, and crackers. Gerard wasn't exactly pleased. He's quite insistent that I should eat real meals, but just nothing sounds good to me. I'm nauseous and constipated (and, aren't you glad, unashamed), and when he suggested ordering take out of Chinese or Indian or something I thought at least one of us might die. 

My other complaint for now is that I've determined most pregnancy books are bunk. They all contradict each other, and say crap I just don't believe. Also frustrating, is that they are clearly not written for an intelligent mind. They are written for readers who want to read what to do and not to do, and not question why. If someone is going to tell me not to do something I love to do, they better as hell give me some sort of explanation of what is wrong with the activity, what it will do to the baby, and what are the chances it will do this thing to the baby. 

For example. This one book says no running/jogging. I consider this a stupid idea and completely outdated, but it works for my description of why these books are stupid. It gives no explanation to why a pregnant lady shouldn't run. Does it create a rocking motion, implying I should also stay away from something like an elliptical machine? Is it the repetitive pounding, meaning I should prefer softer surfaces such as grass? Is it the cardiovascular effort in general that I should take precaution to when doing any exercise? What? What will it do to the baby? Will running 5 minutes hurt 95% of babies, or will running 40 miles a week hurt 0.1% of babies?  I need details, people. And since this book doesn't provide details on this claim, or dozens of other swooping generalizations, I've classified it as BS and put it to the side.

I do have one book I love, however. It's a coffee-book type style, hardback with glossy picture pages. It's more of an embryology book than a pregnancy book. It doesn't say anything dumb like "You might have morning sickness," but it does tell me really cool things like exactly when my baby can open and close his eyes, and move around volitionaly, and how his tail is coming along. Wit lots of creepy, translucent alien-baby pictures on every page! I love it!

No comments: