Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Taking Out the Shades of Gray

I know this is a confusing topic, so let me spell this out for any curious bystanders. 

You know how it's not socially appropriate to comment on someone's size/weight/eating habits, or touch their stomach?
That rule doesn't actually change just because someone is pregnant. Furthermore, the less I know you, the less I want to hear your ideas on how much my belly should or shouldn't have grown by now. Unless you want to tell me how terribly cute I am, I don't want to hear it. 

Thankfully I'm not actually talking to any of you reading this, but to strangers and distant colleagues who are under the misguided impression that thier opinion on my weight is vaulable or interesting information to me, or perhaps that I will even eat or exercise differently to appease them. Ugh.

3 comments:

Christina said...

Everyone has an opinion on how much you "should" gain/eat/stick out. But everyone's body grows at different rates. It does get irritating hearing the commentary. But brace yourself: it gets continually worse the further along you are, and will gradually taper off as the baby grows out of the "newborn" phase.

Unknown said...

Yeah you tell em'!

Besiege said...

At my checkup today, my Dr. totally read my mind. Out of nowhere, as if I had just read him this post, even though I made no reference to my size at all.. he says, "Actually, your size is just perfect, so don't let anyone bother you about being too small. You are exactly where you should be." I swear up and down these were his words. He then went on to tell me how his (tall) sister never got big, and had a "nothing" labor to an 8lb boy even though she looked 6 months pregnant, and that I will, also, go on to have a "nothing" labor because of my height.

This is why I drive 15 min down to South San Francisco to see him, even tough I can walk to the SF office from work...