Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Beautiful Beautiful

This weekend Gerard and I took advantage of our 3-day weekend by taking a little trip. We went to Monterey, which really was 3rd in line of our ideas. We had really wanted to go to San Diego, but the drive just wasn't practical for such a short time frame and I couldn't leave work early that Friday. So we decided to go to Yosemite, but thought of this too late, and any reasonably close hotels that allowed doggies were booked solid. So we settled on Monterey, thinking there'd be little else to do besides the famed Aquarium. Luckily, we were dead wrong. It was one of the best weekends we've had in a long time. The aquarium was even more fascinating than I had remembered, which is quite a feat being as I last went when I was 12, and what aquarium is cooler when you're an adult than a kid?? Gerard and I might as well have been middle schoolers again, standing in awe in front of the withering otters and reaching in the wade pool trying to pet the sting rays... The next planned outting was a whale watching tour, which had been highly anticipated by yours truly. I had made reservations and rearranged our schedule for this boat trip. And then we get there and I was refused entry on behalf of lil boo boo. No preggos allowed, they said. Apparently it was a two-pronged dagger against me: at any point in the trip I'd be a good two hour's from medical assistance if needed, Coast Guards would have to be called, blah blah blah. I must've looked unconvinced at this concern, because they quickly dropped this reason and stated that whales also omitted pathogens, and if I went, I'd contract TB and kill my baby. They  probably said this a bit more rationally, but it was enough to convince me, albeit reluctantly, that it was not worth spotting a whale to endanger myself or lil boo boo. But I really didn't give a damn about troubling the Coast Guard.

The experience really honed in that everything happens for a reason though- which has become G's and my motto since the whole job uncertainty scenario began back in March. The canceled whale watching trip allotted us time to go to Point Lobos State Reserve, which I had been on the fence about. I had wanted to go, but was willing to delegate only a few rushed morning hours into the itinerary. But guys, this was one of the most amazing places I've ever been. We'd already driven a fair portion of the Pacific Highway, so we thought we'd kinda 'been there, done that' but this place is simply breathtaking. I can't wait for someone to come visit me so I can drive them back down and let someone else experience this. The whole time I kept thinking in wonder: I live an hour and a half away from this. I feel so blessed and incredulous on how many diversely wonderful places are so close to me. In a 4 hour drive or less, I can get to Monterey, Wine Country, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite and countless other treasures. Why anyone would not live in California is beyond me. 

We took the following day to drive the famed 17 Mile Drive, which- while beautiful, was slightly anticlimactic after Point Lobos, save for a few poignant lookouts. But Gerard got to see Pebble Beach Golf Club, which apparently is important in golf-world. We then went to Santa Cruz, peered into the beach boardwalk (which is decidedly less cool than I remember it being as a 12 year old), and then went to the Natural Bridge State Park, which is also pretty cool. The whole trip ended with a visit to the Gilroy Outlet mall, which was having a Memorial Day sale that practically required every store to offer additional 40% off savings storewide. So that was a very happy ending for everyone. Except for Kota and Gerard who had to hang out outside. So mainly just a happy ending for me. 

(I had the hardest time in the world narrowing down my photo album from this weekend into a couple pictures to post, so I encourage all interested parties to go to my gallery here. But be forewarned you'll be insanely jealous you didn't do this with your Memorial Day weekend. 

1 comment:

kmbutrfly said...

my dad lived in monteray for a while back in his army days and we got to visit his old haunting grounds a few years ago. i absolutely loved it, and i only did about 1/4 of what y'all did! you are right - it's amazing to be within 4 hours of all those beautiful places! i really want to do a long northern CA trip in the future!