Sunday, March 13, 2011

Random Musings...

.. because that's what I'm supposed to do on this blog

*I realize this might be an 'uh..duh' revelation for most of you, but how amazing are frozen vegetables??? I waste way too much money on vegetables that go bad before I get the chance to cook and eat them. And I waste way too much time chopping up and preparing vegetables. Why? Whyyyyy??? I've been getting some vegetables frozen for while, but recently made this great discovery of sliced mixed peppers, diced onions, etc etc in little frozen bags. I don't know if I didn't know these vegetables came frozen, since I typically picture frozen peas and corn, or if I just wasn't thinking in those lines or what, but I consider this revelation life changing. Just as healthy, less money, less waste, less time. I'm sold.

*Solomon's in one of those spurts when he's saying new words every day. One of his new words today is 'tickle' (or tih-toe, because he assimilates all of his words). He'll run up to you and say tih-toe, then laugh and laugh until he says stop! then he'll run away and regroup for a couple seconds before coming right back for more. Repeat x100.

*A less fun new word is move. Always accompanied by pushing. Rough translation: Get out of my damn way, woman!

*It really breaks my heart when we're on a walk or something, and Solomon waves to people and they don't wave back. I have to assume they didn't see him, because he is completely irresistible and who can ignore an irresistible baby waving at them? No one. That's the definition of irresistible. But he doesn't understand that yet. Which is why he also tries to say bye-bye to people after we close the door leaving wherever we were. So it just makes me sad that Solomon's charming efforts are going unnoticed, and the last thing I want if for him to give up and stop trying to say hi to people.

*Solomon loves dip. Whether it's ketchup, hummus, spinach artichoke, salsa.. whatever we'll let him have, he'll eat what we're willing to offer him. This is how I got him to start loving chili, also. He won't eat it with a spoon. But offer it with a tortilla chip and he'll go to town. What's awesome is that he'll rarely actually eat whatever he is using to dip, though. He'll just take the pita, chip, veggie or whatever and dip, suck off the dip, then dip again. Until it crumbles from sogginess or accidentally dissolves in his mouth. Jerry and George would have a field day with him.

*Less cute is his random tantrums around clothes changing. It's been constant recently. He refuses to the umpth degree to get his diaper changed or clothes changed. I see him do it with relatively little protest for Leila (daycare lady), but with me you'd think I had needles in his eyes and bees stinging his toes. Yes yes I know what you're thinking: distract him with a toy! Make a song out of it! Blow on his belly! If you're thinking anything so ridiculous in your head you are obviously not grasping the degree of this problem. We are talking well past what a toy can save. We're talking holding him by the legs so he's not head-first off the changing table. And physically restraining him on the floor so he doesn't run away. If you unzip his pj's in the morning he'll grab desperately at the zipper trying to pull it back up, or put the dirty diaper back on his penis that will help. Oh maybe he's cold, you say. Hah! Again, you don't understand. Putting on clothes is no better. Once you pop a shirt of his giganto-head, you'd think the worst of it was over, but he'll pull it right back over his head before you can get an arm through the sleeve. Pants are really epic battles, because he can get one foot out of the pant leg before you can get the second foot in. So usually he's in his pjs on the weekends until after his nap, and then just in a diaper and shirt the rest of the afternoon. It's awesome.

1 comment:

emilyjbell said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who has fresh food going bad before I can eat it!