I go through phases of being semi- on top of it, when it comes to dinner... Trying to plan out recipes in advance and grocery shop for the week accordingly. I've never been super good about it- you hear about other people who do prep work on the weekends, plan their whole menus, etc etc. I've never been that good. At my best I think of 2 or 3 recipes that call for ingredients we wouldn't otherwise keep at home, and prepare for those. At my worst, I don't go grocery shopping for two weeks, so have no fresh produce, nothing good left to eat- and search through the fridge, freezer and cupboards wondering what in the hell we are going to scrounge up for dinner for yet another night.
That's where I found myself tonight. We had some ground turkey, but that was about the only perishable, nonfrozen food in sight. I've been trying to do what I can to sneak in vegetables when and how I can, because both boys do whatever they can to avoid them. Any time I made something with ground meat, it was easy to dice veggies and mix them right along with the meat- so that no one could just pick them up. So turkey tacos and bison burgers were done like this a lot, and were tasty. But Solomon is still deciding whether or not he's a vegetarian, and Gerard had graduated to eating his onions and peppers in slices instead of dices, so I haven't been doing that as much. Anyway, we had half an onion left, but no peppers or other suitable vegetables, and not even any spinach, which we use instead of lettuce. So tacos, onions and cheese was going to be a little boring. So I decided to experiment- without a recipe- which is something I never, ever do. I decided we could add some salsa for flavor, and corn to sweeten the deal for Solomon (he's a little bit obsessed with corn). Solomon will eat about any vegetable when mixed with equal parts corn (we do chopped zucchini or squash like this a lot), so I put corn in. I searched through the feezer, but the only veggies I could find were peas and edamame. Neither sounded particularly good to me in a taco, and I knew Gerard would put up a fight, but I through some edamame into my corn salsa mix and hoped for the best.
'Best tacos yet' Gerard said. Success! I as proud. Gerard couldn't even taste them. Solomon was weary of the green peaking out, and spent the first several minutes picking them out. But then he gave up on the task and figured it was easier to just eat them. I'll take it.
No comments:
Post a Comment