Sunday, March 6, 2011

Iwahmah boop

So, I've started several posts recently that I haven't been able to dedicate enough time yet to do justice to. But I wanted to at least touch base with all my fans. :p

One phrase we hear a lot in our household (apartmenthold?) is 'Iwahmah boop!' which means, of course, I would like to read another book, pretty please! Solomon is turning into be quite a little book nerd, which is great, but is drastically lengthening potty time and bedtime because he wants...more... books... But, books are making our commute times every day much more bearable, so I'll take the other annoyances in stride. He has the same collection of books in the car, each of which I know frontwards and backwards. So I can always tell which page he's looking at by something he says or does, and I know the book well enough to talk to him more about what else he is looking at (he's still rear facing so I don't have any visual cues, even at a stop light).

I have maybe a million children's books thanks to my job, and by going to a Scholastic warehouse booksale a few years back that I majorly OD'd on. So, I'm trying to be more selective about my book choices now, so the good books we have don't get lost in an endless library of mediocrity. I've recently acquired three wonderful, wonderful books, however, that I just had to share:

Jazz Baby, Lisa Wheeler
This was in the sale section of my favorite children's book store, and it's been all I can do to refrain from buying this book for everyone I know. I love the diversity of skin color in the family, but mostly it's just an insanely fun read. It reads like a jazz song and is insanely catchy and fun. I'm trying to wean Solomon off 5 Little Monkeys in favor of this. I've mentioned before my sensitivity to not raising Solomon in an overly Caucasian-centric environment. So I love being able to share books like this that are a bit of a break from the familiar to me, but is a great- albeit limited- exposure to different cultures and experiences. We aren't sitting around as a family singing jazz frequently (or ever) but this book makes me feel like we should be. An excerpt:
Grandpa TOOT-TOOTS,
Granny sings scat.
Bitty boppin' Baby goes
RAT-TAT-TAT!

Mama sings high,
Daddy sings low.
Snazzy-jazzy Baby says "Go, Man, Go!

Beautiful Oops, Barney Saltzberg
Picked up this book today at the Borders closing sale (can I mention how sad it is to see this bookstore in shambles and disarray? I feel like I've spent so much time over so many years browsing, studying, or hanging out in a Borders. It was sad to hear it closing, but even sadder to see it as a half-empty, disorganized mess. Sad...) Basically it's a book about turning mistakes into awesome creations. So a rip in a page becomes the mouth of an alligator. A drink ring stain becomes a bog for a frog. It is so creative and different. And inspiring. I was one of those children who just cringed when a paper was crumpled in the slightest or my name wasn't written perfectly. I'd sooner throw out a piece of paper with a slightly creased corner rather than do my homework on it. So I think that this book will help teach great lessons to both Solomon and myself.

The Peace Book, Todd Parr
My sister sent me this book and I'm in love. Solomon's also requested this a few times at bedtime which is a huge deal to break into his routine of 5 Little Monkeys, Pat the Bunny, and Baa Baa Black Sheep from his nursery rhymes book repeated infinitely. It's bright, cheery and engaging, and sends a message of respect and acceptance in simple, short ideas. I really like the overarching themes of helping others, as well as the acceptance and celebration of diversity. This is who I want Solomon to grow up to be. I want him to grow up to be this book.

3 comments:

kmbutrfly said...

those are awesome recommendations -- all new to me! i will have to keep my eyes peeled for those as amelia grows. you are a great mama!!!

amazon said...

I'm glad you like The Peace Book. :) Also, it doesn't get any easier to see what page they're looking at even after they're front facing. At least not for me. I still have to do the same thing you're doing to "read" the "octopus book" to Hazard in the car.

Tiffany said...

Have I mentioned how glad I am that you are back??? And you are the most stylish, "cutest" person I know (from a few posts back)!!!