Today I left the office for lunch, and our security guard opened the door for me and said goodbye. He's not our everyday security guard, mind you, he's like our sub when our regular guy is out. Point being I don't see him every day, and he doesn't know my name let alone my family situation. Anyway, so he had said bye, and have a good day... and then called out 'Oh and have a happy Mother's Day!'
Sooooo, how am I supposed to interpret this? I'm doing good to say happy mother's day to my own mom, let alone a practical stranger. I guess I'd say it if it happened to cross my mind to a friend who I knew for certain was a mother. But never in a million years would I say this to a random person I didn't know.
Is this something people do? Say happy Mother's Day to anyone and everyone, because presumably everyone has a mother to celebrate? Was I supposed to say 'you too?' Or do people only say it to people who are mothers? In that case, am I supposed to be offended something about my appearance screams 'Mom'??
Those 3 seemingly innocuous words just gave me that annoying and confusing 'I'm probably not supposed to be offended but I kinda am anyway, which probably says more about my own faults and neuroses than anything' feeling. It's one of my least favorite emotions.
No comments:
Post a Comment