Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Potty Time

So, for those of you who don't know, we've been doing the lazy man's potty training since Solomon turned 1, which basically means I sit him on the toilet a couple of times a day and hope he figures things out eventually. We get pees pretty frequently (although his penis is always out of the potty because he's playing with it, so he just pees on himself and me) and sometimes even poop. But anything in the potty is one less diaper for me to wash, so I'll take it. Now the problem is Solomon is a little nerd and obsessed with books, which had been our motivator to keep him on the potty for a few minutes. But now he wants to read every single book that we keep in the bathroom and throws a tantrum when I want him to get off the potty. So now I don't even like letting him get on the potty because I don't want to be stuck in there for 30 minutes.

But, that isn't the point of the story. The point of the story is today Solomon gave a grunt, and I gave him my silent what are you doing face? and he said 'Poopoo!' I was amazed at his revelation, so I yelled 'Poopoo in the potty! Poopoo in the potty!' So we ran to the bathroom and I was surprised to take off his diaper and find no poop- we had made it in time! He sat on the toilet and let out a massive... fart. Ah well, but we were so close! And I'm still proud of him!

Similarly, this past weekend he was having naked time in his bedroom. I left the room momentarily, and he came running to me saying 'Beebee!' I wasn't sure what this word meant, so I followed him back in his room, and he lead me over to where he had been playing and pointed on the floor where he had just peed! I didn't know he even knew that word, and I was surprised he cared enough about his accident to tell me.


***
In non potty news, with March coming, hopefully Gerard and I can start trying again. As excited as I am, and as long as and as much as we've been wanting another baby, I can't help but be scared. I love Solomon an obnoxious amount. I'd be really sad in some ways to have to split my attention away from him, and to have to share most all of our time together with another child. I also think he's so sickeningly cute and perfect, it's difficult to imagine loving another child as much as I do him. Of course, if/ when we are blessed with another child I'm sure our love will expand and we won't be able to imagine our lives without him or her. But sometimes it's hard to picture.

No comments: