Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Birthday Eve

So, nothing happened today as would be expected.
Our power had gone out about 2 days ago, and while resetting the clocks, each one managed to get a different time. Most effected was the oven time, which is the time I use when I'm getting ready to leave for work. I missed my train yesterday and thought it was an unfortunate fluke, but alas, this morning, I again saw it leave when I was still several hundred feet away. So I sit down and wait for the next train. Which is only ten minutes away, but the super slow train that stops at every. single. stop. Ugh. I was particularly disappointed because I was wanting to get to work and start up on all of the work I had to do. I had high ambitions for a productive day. And, I'd get a guilt-free chance to stay at work later and catch up, as Gerard was giving a lecture at Stanford this evening, (right next to my work) so he'd drop off boo with me later than I usually leave, and I'd bring him back home, instead of me trying to rush home to get some quality time in before bed time.
But as it was, I'd get in 30 minutes before my first parent conference. Factoring in time to settle in and print out the materials I'd need, I wouldn't even have time to pump before I started seeing clients. Ugh. Speaking of pumping, I'd forgotten to refreeze my ice packs the night before, so I would have to put them in the freezer at work so they'd be cool for my commute home.
Ok, so I get off the train and begin my 20-min walk to work. I notice the street light is out and mentally berate the assholes that feel entitled to just drive through the intersection without stopping. I keep walking and notice that actually all of the street lights are out. Hmm.
I get into work and sure enough the lights are out. Meaning, I can't use my computer. I can't type up notes, I can't check my schedule, I can't print out my reports for my parent conference. Nothing. Ok. So luckily I have a nice large window and have pretty clear visibility in my office so I begin the work I can do without a computer. I manage my way through a semi-dark, paperless parent conference (where I had to break some pretty bad news with a harsh diagnosis I was giving), and dispo with another multidisciplinary team. By now I really have to pump. Of course I can't plug in my pump, so I rely on a dying battery adapter, and then have to hand express as best I can. My ice packs were chilling in an unplugged freezer, so I kinda just stocked my milk in the fridge far enough back to stay cold as possible, but still accessible to find in the dark amidst all of the other food. My next client- who cancels more than he shows up- of course shows up for therapy in the dark. I fumble through therapy and then see a text from Gerard saying he's stuck in an elevator. I see another text saying he's scared. And then nothing. No response to my texts. No answering or returning my calls. Keep in mind Gerard has Solomon at this time, so of course all I can envision is both my husband and son plummeting to their death in the elevator shaft, and then all I have left is Kota and Biggs (whom I begrudgingly pinky promised to Gerard I'd keep in the event of his death). So I hightail it to the train station, which doesn't even have a train for another 45 minutes. This train also stopped at every. single. stop. Oh- except for my stop. Once I was on the train, Gerard finally thinks to nonchalantly call me back. I yell at him, tell him he has to pick me up at the next closest train station, and that my phone is about to die. His response: ok, so what do you want to do for dinner?
So I finally get home, barely any earlier than usual, none of the work done I had needed to get done, and now Solomon just woke up crying. Awesome.

No comments: