Friday, October 24, 2008

Pro-America

So, for the first time in the history of the world, I am more looking forward to Election day than Halloween. Don't get me wrong- I'm really excited about Halloween, but I'm even more excited about sending Sarah Palin and Joe the Plumber back into obscurity. I'm embarrassed to admit that yes, I did used to identify myself as a Republican, which I blame entirely on my naivety, ignorance, and red-state upbringing. But now I'm really having trouble understanding and respecting a Conservative viewpoint. I really just am. And I say this knowing that some of my dearest friends back in Georgia are Republicans, but I just don't understand it. I don't understand why, in the midst of this economic crisis, that people want to foster and encourage the continued separation of classes. I don't understand why people don't think that health care should be affordable and available, or that we shouldn't give money to the public education system that continues to go to shit. I don't understand why people think someone "just like them" should be second in commmand in the Oval Office- and second in command to a 72 year old cancer survivor at that. 

Our recent trip to Lake Tahoe gave Gerard and I interesting insight to the political campaigning that has apparently been going on in battle ground states. Here in California, we don't really see a lot of the presidential commercials going around, because God forbid we elect another republican after the hell the Governator is putting us through. But, Nevada on the other hand, allots approximately 75% of their advertising capacity to the campaign. I'm telling you- it is nonstop. Here in Cali- most of our efforts are focused on numerous propositions we are to vote on on November 4- mainly Prop 8.

I'm fairly certain no matter where you live you've heard of Prop 8- but if you've been living in a hole- Proposition 8 seeks to amend our state constitution and discontinue to allow same-sex marriages to be granted.

So, not even touching on the $150,000 of campaign money spent to make Sarah look all nice and pretty, people are spending millions and millions of dollars to campaign for Prop 8. Teachers are getting laid off because our education system has no money, but millions of dollars are sent in to ensure that two committed, loving individuals cannot receive the same constitutional rights as other couples. Why the fuck do you care so much?? They are not hurting you! They are not taking away your rights! They aren't doing a damn thing to change or alter your lives in any way whatsoever- so why would you focus so much money, hatred and discrimination against them? I'm so upset about this I can't even focus my energy. You are against homosexuality. I get it. But we have this dandy little thing in this nation called separation of church and state. And your church might not like it. But mine is okay with it. So who has the trump card?

So you say marriage is a sacred, church-filled sacrament. So what about the people who get married in their backyard? On the beach? In city hall? What about the atheists that get married? Pagans? Hindus? Last I checked you weren't trying to negate their ability to marry. And, last I checked, marriage was not limited to being recognized by the church. It changes the way you file taxes, purchase property, make hospital visitations, all sorts of undogmatic fashions. You say that marriage and sex is in order to procreate. What about the couple unable or unwilling to have children? What about the gay couples wishing to adopt children? What with them? You say you don't want gay marriage being taught in schools. First of all, marriage isn't taught in schools in any regard. Second of all, who the hell cares? Kids are taught about wars, assassinations, violence, racial segregation, the whole shebang. But instead of being worried about our young impressionable kids becoming bigoted murderers, we're worried about them kissing another boy?! Eek! I hear Massachusetts is just running rampant with pre-adolescent homosexuals. What will we do? Or are we worried about them being open-minded, tolerable individuals? Yikes! Spare me!

Please, please vote on Nov 4. And while you're at it, vote Obama. And if you really love me, move to California so you can vote no on Prop 8 because it is ridiculous above words.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Humm, pretty interesting post... I can't believe I'm dating a former Republican! Gees...

Besiege said...

Whatever. You're a closeted former Republican too! Loser